Monday, April 26, 2010

Aloha!
What have I experienced so far working on "Drag 'n' Fly"....
For many of us embarking on this group project, it is our first experience working in this manner. For me, it's been exciting, overwhelming, and a little scary to step into a real animation pipeline. It's as all of our professors have explained from all of their professional experience that there are modelers, riggers, animators, texture artists, lighters, etc all working together like a clock. Ours is a tiny group in comparison to some of the large studios out there like Dreamworks or Sony but large in contrast to past SCAD Atlanta group projects. We've got quite a variety of talent covering all bases. I can only hope to hold up my end as rigging supervisor (although I am supervisor I will continually go to Keyur for help!). Rigging can be named a "thankless job", unglamorous, boring, tedious. Those in the animation industry would agree it is extremely important and can be awfully technical. Somehow I find happiness in it (well I'm happy when my outliner is pretty and organized). Maybe it's just the extreme relief after struggling with one stubborn joint that won't skin properly. For those of you who aren't in the industry or studying to be, rigging is basically putting the bones and joints in a character and giving it controllers to afford the animator the capability to actually move it. For those familiar with rigging, it has been...challenging. I've rigged boucing balls, little clown, a penguin, an octopus, a biped. NEVER A BIRD! I am armed with some good reading and a plethera of online tutorials. Bring it on. Go team.
-Virginia Duke

No comments:

Post a Comment